Information we collect
In order to provide our customers with our products and services, we may collect and use personal information about you and others. If we are not provided with all the personal information we request, we may not be able to supply our products and services.
The type of information we collect includes names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and other contact details.
If you use our FreeviewPlusTM service, we may also collect your IP address and postcode, although this information is collected on an anonymous basis – which means we do not match that information with personal information we may hold about you and we are not able to identify you from your IP address and postcode.
How we collect personal information
Generally, we collect an individual’s personal information from that individual. For example we collect personal information when you enter a promotion or provide us with feedback or make a complaint through our website or other means of communication.
How we store personal information
We take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal information which we hold about you and to protect your personal information from loss, misuse or unauthorised alteration. Any personal information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Access to personal information is limited to those of our personnel who specifically need it to carry out their business responsibilities. We also maintain physical security procedures to manage and protect the use and storage of records containing personal information.
Live Broadcast Television Receiver Tuning Information Collection
Television receivers that have Freeview Plus HbbTV features enabled deliver Live Broadcast Television Channel Tuning information to OzTAM, the TV Ratings measurement company.
This Television Channel Tuning Information Collection can be turned off via the Freeview Plus HbbTV application as follows:
- Navigate to the Settings page
- Navigate to Live TV Tracking
- Select “Disable Live TV Tracking”
- Confirm that the option has changed to “Enable Live TV Tracking”
Purpose of collection
We collect personal information so we can:
- revise and enhance our service;
- fulfil your requests and respond to your queries and complaints;
- contact you about changes to our services;
- send news, information about our activities and general promotional material which we believe may be useful to you;
- monitor who is accessing our website or using our services;
- seek your opinion or comments about our products and services;
- carry out our management, administrative quality assurance and complaint handling activities in a professional and efficient manner;
- develop and implement initiatives to improve our products and services; and
- report to our stakeholders and other interested parties as to Freeview performance.
Use and Disclosure
We use and disclose the personal information we collect for the purposes indicated above, and for other secondary purposes.
We usually disclose the personal information we collect to our related entities, service providers and contractors, who help us supply our products and services.
Except where indicated above, we will not use or disclose personal information unless:
- the individual concerned has consented to the use and disclosure;
- the third party is our service provider or contractor, in which case we will require them to use and disclose the personal information only for the purpose for which it was provided to them;
- the third party is a person involved in a dealing or proposed dealing (including a sale) of all or part of our assets and business;
- the disclosure is to a related body corporate; or
- the disclosure is permitted, required or authorised by or under law.
We may use personal information to advise the individual concerned of new products and marketing initiatives that we think may be of interest to them. This may include product and service offerings, newsletters and general information about us.
Those who prefer not to receive information about our products and services can either:
- ask to be removed from the relevant circulation list by contacting contact us, using the contact details listed below; or
- follow the unsubscribe link in any relevant electronic communication.
We never disclose personal information to a third party for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products or service on an individual, unless individuals have expressly consented to that disclosure.
If at any time you want to know what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to request access to that information by contacting us, using the details listed below. However, where:
- the access impacts on the privacy of others;
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- there are existing or anticipated legal proceedings; or
- such access can be denied under law or by a law enforcement agency,
we may deny your request for access.
If we deny your request for access, we will let you know why.We may also charge a fee to cover the reasonable costs we incur in processing your request.
Quality & correction
At all times we strive to ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If at any time you believe the personal information that we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, you should let us know. We will use all reasonable efforts to correct the information.
Website, cookies & tracking
To ensure we are meeting the needs and wants of our website users, and to develop our online services, we may collect aggregated information by using cookies or similar electronic tools.
Cookies do not identify you personally, but do identify your computer. You may set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie and this will provide you with an opportunity to either accept or reject it in each instance.
We may allow third parties to set and access their cookies while you are using our website, or the Freeview PlusTM service. The way third parties use their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies.
We may also track and analyse the use of our services through an analytics and optimisation service. We use this service to collect aggregate information such as the number of users and time spent using our services. We do not use this service to collect information which can be used to identify you personally.
We are committed to constantly improving our procedures so that personal information is treated appropriately. If you feel that we have failed to deal with your personal information in accordance with this policy, please contact us, using the details listed below, so we have an opportunity to resolve the issue to your satisfaction.
We will log your complaint and our privacy officer will:
- listen to your concerns and grievances;
- discuss with you the ways in which we can remedy the situation; and
- put in place an action plan to resolve your complaint and improve our information handling procedures if appropriate.
No disclosure to overseas recipients.
We are not likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients.
If you require more detailed information about our information handling practices or if you have any concerns about our handling of your personal information, please let us know by contacting us at:
Freeview Australia Limited
We will endeavour to respond to your concerns as quickly as possible.